The Black Mountain Backpack Camp at Monte Bello Open Space Preserve is the only campsite on District lands. The camp is a 1.5-mile hike from Page Mill Road and includes a 500-foot uphill climb from the parking lot. A permit is required, and the fee ($2 per night per camper) is payable after the camping trip.
Reservations are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Because the designated campsites fill up quickly, we encourage campers to check campsite availability before submitting a permit application. Please note that online availability does NOT guarantee a permit; applications are processed first come, first serve. Generally, applications should be submitted at least one week in advance. Reservations are available for one- or two-night stays throughout the year.
- Camping fee is $2 per person, payable by cash or check after you camp.
- Overnight parking is only allowed in the Monte Bello lot, and is BY PERMIT ONLY.
- There are 4 campsites - 4 people maximum each site. There is 1 group campsite - 24 people maximum. (Maximum 40 people for entire campground.)
- Visitors must arrive at campsite after 2:00 p.m. and BEFORE SUNSET. The surrounding preserve area is closed a half-hour after sunset.
- Visitors must vacate campsite by 12:00 p.m.
- Stay on designated trails. Visitors must camp in designated campsites only.
- Campfires, wood burning and charcoal fires are prohibited. Gas powered camp stoves permitted in designated areas only.
- Please carry out everything you bring in, including refuse.
- The water is non-potable. Boil or filter before using.
- Bicyclists must wear a helmet.
- Dogs are prohibited.
- Radios or loud activities are prohibited.
- Firearms or weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- No one under 18 years old may camp on any District Lands, except when:
a) Accompanied by a parent or guardian; or
b) Part of a group supervised by at least one adult, each responsible for ten or fewer juveniles; or
c) The juvenile is an emancipated minor.