Midpen is a leader in open space preservation, natural resource protection and responsible land management. To help us with this work, we have formed a Science Advisory Panel to provide independent, science-based review of key issues and serve as a resource for future decisions. San Francisco Estuary Institute will manage the panel with Point Blue Conservation Science.
The complicated natural resource and public access projects we manage require a high level of scientific expertise. The panel will support our ongoing work by:
- Establishing a scientific basis to assist Midpen with management decisions.
- Providing an independent review of Midpen land management decisions and ongoing practices.
- Advancing research efforts for important regional, science-based management topics.
Topics for Review
In January 2020, the board of directors chose the first topics for review:
- Monitoring changes in plant and animal populations
- Balancing natural resource protection and ecologically-sensitive public enjoyment and education
- Conservation grazing benefits and impacts
A detailed description of the topics can be found in the board report from the meeting.
The panel will report back to the board of directors in fall 2020.