Special meeting begins at 5 p.m.; Regular Meeting begins at 7 p.m.
Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/86159203567 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 86159203567).
2. Members of the public may provide written comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
- Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
- Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
- All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
- Electronic comments on agenda may only be submitted via the public comment form. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
A G E N D A
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – STUDY SESSION
1. Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District American Badger and Burrowing Owl Research (R-20-93)
Staff Contact: Karine Tokatlian, Resource Management Specialist II
General Manager’s Recommendations: Receive and discuss information about the status of American badger (Taxidea taxus) and burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia) in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and the District’s conservation efforts to protect both species and their habitats. No Board action required.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Proclamation of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District given to Honor the Retirement of Michael Jurich
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve August 26, 2020 Minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Acceptance of Funding from the California Conservation Corps for the Coal Creek Area Fuel Break Project (R-20-94)
Staff Contact: Deborah Hirst, Grants Program Manager
General Manager’s Recommendations: Adopt a resolution accepting Proposition 68 grant funding from the California Conservation Corps for the Coal Creek Area Fuel Break Project.
4. Lobitos Ridge/Elkus Uplands Ranch Grazing Lease in Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-20-95)
Staff Contact: Susan Weidemann, Property Management Specialist II
General Manager’s Recommendations: Adopt a resolution authorizing the General Manager to enter into a new, two-year grazing lease with an option for a one-year extension at Lobitos Ridge/Elkus Uplands Ranch in Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve with current lessee, Vince Fontana.
5. Purchase of Capital Equipment for Fiscal Year 2020-21 (R-20-86)
Staff Contact: Adriana Headley, Management Analyst II
General Manager’s Recommendations: Authorize the General Manager to execute a purchase contract with the California Department of General Services and associated contract dealers for two replacement patrol vehicles and one replacement mini excavator, for a total cost not-to-exceed $110,000.
6. Award of Contract to Shellco General Contractor, Inc., for the Deer Hollow Farm White Barn Structural Stabilization Project at Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve (R-20-96)
Staff Contact: Leigh Guggemos, Capital Project Manager III, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Shellco General Contractor, Inc., of Patterson, California, for a base contract amount of $235,551.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $35,333 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $270,884.
7. Assign Fund Balance Transfers to Fiscal Year 2021 (R-20-85)
Staff Contact: Mike Bower, Budget & Analysis Manager
General Manager’s Recommendations: Adopt a resolution approving (1) balance transfers of unspent Fiscal Year 2020 appropriations in Fund 40 – General Fund Capital for projects that continue into Fiscal Year 2021, and (2) General Fund Capital budget amendments for Fiscal Year 2021.
8. Contract Amendment with Top Line Engineers to Remove an Underground Oil/Water Separator at the South Area Field Office Project Site (R-20-91)
Staff Contact: Tanisha Werner, Senior Capital Project Manager
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Authorize the General Manager to amend the original contract of $46,650 with Top Line Engineers by $61,180, bringing the base contract amount to $107,830 to remove an underground oil/water separator discovered at the South Area Field Office Project site.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $16,175 to be awarded, if necessary, to cover unforeseen conditions, for a new total not-to-exceed contract amount of $124,005.
9. Award of Contract to Engineering/Remediation Resources Group, Inc. for the Madonna Creek Ranch Cleanup at Miramontes Ridge Open Space Preserve (R-20-92)
Staff Contact: Aaron Hébert, Senior Resources Management Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Authorize the General Manager to enter into a contract with Engineering/Remediation Resources Group, Inc. of Martinez, CA, for a base contract amount of $106,626.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $15,994 to be reserved for unanticipated issues related to the base contract, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $122,620.
3. Authorize an allowance of $21,325 to be expended only if there are more materials or contaminants found during activities than previously estimated.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. All written comments submitted in accordance with the guidance posted on the District’s website will be read into the record.
10. Sediment Monitoring Results from the Watershed Protection Program at El Corte De Madera Creek Open Space Preserve (R-20-76)
Staff Contact: Aaron Hébert, Senior Resource Management Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendations: Receive an informational presentation on the sediment monitoring results from the Watershed Protection Program at El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve. No Board action required.
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1)
Title of Employee: Controller