Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20 and the March 16, 2020 Order of the Health Officer of Santa Clara County directing all individuals living in the County to shelter at their place of residence, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/936157296 or listen to the meeting by dialing 669-900-6833 or 346-248-7799 (Webinar ID 936 157 296).
2. If you would like to submit a public comments on an agenda item, please submit your comments at openspace.org/public-comment no later than 4:30 P.M., Monday, April 6, 2020. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website. Please visit openspace.org/board-meetings to learn more.
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve February 26, 2020 and March 11, 2020 Minutes
2. Contract Amendment with Questa Engineering for additional geotechnical inspection services for the Ravenswood Bay Trail Connection project at Ravenswood Open Space Preserve (R-20-28)
Staff Contact: Scott Reeves, Senior Capital Project Manager, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation: Authorize the General Manger to execute a contract amendment with Questa Engineering for additional geotechnical inspection services for the Ravenswood Bay Trail Connection Project in the amount of $19,420, for an amended total contract amount not-to-exceed $67,310.
3. Contract Amendment with Questa Engineering to Complete the Second Phase of Work for the Phase II Trail Improvements at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve (R-20-29)
Staff Contact: Bryan Apple, Capital Projects Field Manager, Land and Facilities Department
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Authorize the General Manager to amend the original contract of $225,000 with Questa Engineering by $415,400, bringing the base contract amount to $640,400 to complete the second phase of work (construction documents, permitting, construction administration, and as-builts) for the Phase II Trails at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $62,310 to be awarded, if necessary, to cover unforeseen conditions, for a grand total not-to-exceed contract amount of $702,710.
4. Resolution for funding from Santa Clara County for the Alpine Trail construction project in Coal Creek Open Space Preserve (R-20-30)
Staff Contact: Brian Malone, Assistant General Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt a resolution authorizing the General Manager to apply for Stanford Recreation Mitigation Funding from Santa Clara County and, if successful, enter into a funding agreement.
5. Written Response to the Sierra Club-Loma Prieta Chapter Regarding Potential Pilot Programs for E-bikes on District Lands
Staff Contact: Matt Anderson, District Chief Ranger and Visitor Services Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the written response to the Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter regarding potential pilot programs for E-bikes on District lands.
6. Report from the Bond Oversight Committee to the Board of Directors for the review period from July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019 (R-20-31)
Staff Contact: Denise Gilbert, Measure AA Bond Oversight Committee Chair
Andrew Taylor, Finance Manager
Committee Recommendation: The Bond Oversight Committee recommends that the Board of Directors accept this report.
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. All written comments submitted in accordance with the guidance posted on the District’s website will be read into the record.
7. Proclaim a Local Emergency due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and discuss District actions to address the Emergency (R-20-32)
Staff Contact: Hilary Stevenson, General Counsel
General Manager’s Recommendations:
1. Adopt a Resolution proclaiming a local Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District emergency due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
2. Discuss and consent to the formation of a new COVID-19 Ad Hoc Committee, and authorize the Board President to appoint three Directors to serve on the Committee.
3. Discuss actions taken by the General Manager to address the Emergency and provide direction regarding authority to undertake future actions.
4. Adopt a Resolution affirming the important role of access to open space during the COVID-19 Public Health Order while recognizing the need to protect the health and safety of District employees and Preserve visitors.
• Bear Creek Redwoods Multi-Use Trail Alignment
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
*Times are estimated and items may appear earlier or later than listed. Agenda is subject to change of order.