Special meeting starts at 5:30 pm. Regular meeting starts at 7:00 pm.
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: Santa Clara County APN(s): 562-23-007
Agency Negotiator: Allen Ishibashi, Sr. Real Property Agent
Negotiating Party: Ismael Benhamida, Broker, Marcus & Millichap
Under Negotiation: Purchase Terms
2. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION. Government Code Section 54957(b)(1)
Title of Employee: Acting General Counsel
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
The Board President will invite public comment on items not on the agenda. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. If you wish to address the Board, please complete a speaker card and give it to the District Clerk. Individuals are limited to one appearance during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
SPECIAL ORDERS OF THE DAY
• Introduction of staff
O Carmen Narayanan, Budget & Analysis Manager
O Matt Anderson, Visitor Services Manager
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve March 28, 2018 Minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Award of Contract for Engineering and Design of Two New Trail Loops at La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve (R-18-37)
Staff Contact: Lisa Bankosh, Planner III
Acting General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Authorize the Acting General Manager to enter into a contract with Fall Creek Engineering for a base contract amount of $147,590.
2. Authorize a 15% contingency of $22,138, to be expended only if necessary to cover unforeseen conditions, for a total not-to-exceed contract amount of $169,728.
4. Legislative Action Recommendations (R-18-34)
Staff Contact: Joshua Hugg, Governmental Affairs Specialist
Acting General Manager’s Recommendation: Approve the recommended list of legislative actions for the 2018 state legislative session.
The President will invite public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Each speaker will ordinarily be limited to three minutes. Alternately, you may comment to the Board by a written communication, which the Board appreciates.
5. Report from the Bond Oversight Committee to the Board of Directors for the review period from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 (R-18-36)
Contact: Paul Betlem, Measure AA Bond Oversight Committee Chair
Measure AA Bond Oversight Committee’s Recommendation: Accept the Measure AA Bond Oversight Committee report for FY2016-17
6. Proposed purchase of the 23760 Alamitos Road, LLC Property as an addition to Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve located at 23760 Alamitos Road, San Jose in unincorporated Santa Clara County, Assessor’s Parcel Numbers 562-23-007 (R-18-35)
Staff Contact: Allen Ishibashi, Senior Real Property Agent and Elish Ryan, Real Property Planner III
General Manager’s Recommendation:
1. Determine that the recommended actions are categorically exempt under the California Environmental Quality Act, as set out in the staff report.
2. Adopt a Resolution authorizing the purchase of the 23760 Alamitos Road, LLC property at a cost of $2,800,000 with corresponding authorization for a Fiscal Year 2017-18 budget increase of the same amount.
3. Adopt a Preliminary Use and Management Plan for the property, as set out in the staff report.
4. Withhold dedication of the 23760 Alamitos Road, LLC property as public open space.
5. Authorize the Acting General Manager to enter into a grant agreement with the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation to receive $750,000 for property acquisition costs.
• Visitor Use Level Measurement Project
• State budget request to support District purchase of San Jose Water Company land
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports