Consistent with Governor Gavin Newsom's Executive Order N-29-20, the Governor has allowed local legislative bodies to hold public meetings via teleconference and to make public meetings accessible telephonically or otherwise electronically to all members of the public seeking to observe and to address the local legislative body or state body to avoid public gatherings, and has suspended all contrary provisions of the Brown Act.
THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: https://openspace.zoom.us/j/85417549253 or listen to the meeting by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 85417549253).
2. Members of the public may provide written comments by submitting a public comment form at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls for public comments.
Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is closed.
All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the board of directors meeting.
Electronic comments on agenda may only be submitted via the public comment form. Comments via text or social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.
A G E N D A
5:00 SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – study SESSION
1. Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District Mountain Lion Conservation Efforts (R-20-71)
Staff Contact: Matt Sharp Chaney, Resource Management Specialist II
General Manager’s Recommendation: Receive and discuss information about the status of mountain lion (also known as ‘puma’, ‘cougar’, ‘lion’, Puma concolor) in California and the Santa Cruz Mountains, and the conservation efforts and policies of the agency to protect mountain lion populations and reduce potential conflicts from human-mountain lion encounters. No Board action required.
7:00 REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT
This portion of the agenda is for members of the public to comment on items not on the agenda; however, the Brown Act (Open Meeting Law) does not allow action by the Board of Directors on items not on the agenda. Individuals are limited to one comment during this section.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA
All items on the Consent Calendar may be approved without discussion by one motion. Board members, the General Manager, and members of the public may request that an item be removed from the Consent Calendar during consideration of the Consent Calendar.
1. Approve June 24, 2020 Minutes
2. Claims Report
3. Award of Contract for Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting at Eight Mitigation Sites for Five Years (2020-2024) (R-20-74)
Staff Contact: Amanda Mills, Resource Management Specialist II
General Manager’s Recommendation:
- Authorize the General Manager to enter into contract with Vollmar Natural Lands Consulting for the base contract price of $81,292 to monitor eight mitigation sites for five years.
- Authorize an allowance of $20,000 to be expended only if additional mitigation sites require monitoring and reporting over the next five years.
- Authorize a 10% contingency of $8,130 to be expended only if the eight mitigation sites do not meet permit success criteria, additional years of monitoring are required, and/or additional coordination with the permitting agencies is necessary, for a not-to-exceed total contract of $109,422.
4. Award of Contract to Andreini Brothers for the ADA Barrier Removal Project at Russian Ridge, Monte Bello, and Windy Hill Open Space Preserves (R-20-66)
Staff Contact: Sean Smith, Capital Project Manager II, Engineering and Construction Department
General Manager’s Recommendation:
- Authorize the General Manger to enter into a contract with Andreini Brothers of Half Moon Bay, CA, for the base amount of $429,504.
- Authorize a 13% contingency of $55,836 to be reserved for unanticipated issues, bringing the total contract to a not-to-exceed amount of $485,340.
5. Establish the Fiscal Year 2021 Tax Levy for the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District’s General Obligation Bonds - Series 2015A, Series 2015B, and Series 2018 (R-20-72)
Staff Contact: Andrew Taylor, Finance Manager
General Manager’s Recommendation: Adopt Resolutions of the Board of Directors of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District for each of San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz Counties to establish an ad valorem property tax levy of $1.50 per $100,000 (or $0.0015 per $100) in assessed value for the General Obligation Bonds – Series 2015A, Series 2015B, and Series 2018 (Measure AA).
Public comment on agenda items at the time each item is considered by the Board of Directors. Written public comments will be provided to the Board prior to the meeting and posted on the District’s website at www.openspace.org. All written comments submitted in accordance with the guidance posted on the District’s website will be read into the record.
6. Review of 2020 State of California Legislative Session – Board of Directors Briefing on Matters of Interest to Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (R-20-73)
Staff Contact: Joshua Hugg, Governmental Affairs Specialist
General Manager’s Recommendations: Receive and discuss the 2020 State of California legislative session update from legislative consultants: Public Policy Advocates LLC and Environmental and Energy Consulting. No Board action required.
- Alma Bridge Road Newt Mortality Update
INFORMATIONAL REPORTS – Reports on compensable meetings attended. Brief reports or announcements concerning activities of District Directors and staff; opportunity to refer public or Board questions to staff for information; request staff to report to the Board on a matter at a future meeting; or direct staff to place a matter on a future agenda. Items in this category are for discussion and direction to staff only. No final policy action will be taken by the Board.
A. Committee Reports
B. Staff Reports
C. Director Reports
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE MIDPENINSULA REGIONAL OPEN SPACE DISTRICT – CLOSED SESSION
1. CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATORS (Government Code Section 54956.8)
Property: Portion of San Mateo County APN: 066-280-050
Agency Negotiator: Michael Williams, Real Property Manager
Negotiating Party: Ben Wright, Peninsula Open Space Trust
Under Negotiation: Terms and Conditions