In addition to our Outdoor Service Projects, Midpen can also facilitate and schedule weekend and weekday Special Group projects for schools, churches, companies who want to volunteer in Open Space. Habitat Restoration, Fence Construction, Trail Work (limited to 10 participants in most cases), and other maintenance projects are scheduled throughout the year. Most projects are limited to between 8-15 volunteers; however, smaller and larger group sizes may be accommodated in some cases.
Outdoor Service Projects Planning Schedule
We plan and schedule projects on a quarterly basis. Below are deadlines for submitting requests for each season.
- Spring Projects: (April/May/June)
- Summer Projects: (July/August/September)
- Fall Projects: (October/November/December)
- Winter Projects: (January/February/March)
We try to schedule and facilitate as many projects as possible each year; however, we receive numerous group requests and schedule between 65-70 group projects per year along with other District events. When planning group projects we assess the group, soil conditions, District priority projects to come up with a list of projects. Once projects are established for a season, we coordinate with volunteer group leaders to confirm if the project, date, location, etc. we came up with works for you. Once confirmed, it is added to the schedule.
- The project day runs from 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- There is no experience/tools necessary.
- New volunteer groups traditionally begin with habitat restoration projects. Trail and fence work may be scheduled for returning groups or those with more technical experience.
- Midpen provides snacks and water, participants bring their own lunch.
- During lunch, our field staff are available to discuss and answer questions about the District and the preserves.
Special Group – Project Request Form
Please complete the on-line request form below in order to provide the information we need to schedule your group for a project.
Thanks again for your interest in volunteering with the District!