Fire is a fact of life in California and we all play a role in living safely with it. For those living in the wildland-urban interface, creating defensible space around your home is one of the most important things you can do to protect your property.
Neighbors can apply here for a free permit allowing you to reduce vegetation on Midpen land, within 100 feet of occupied structures, to create defensible space around your home.
- Obtain a free fire hazard inspection from your local fire agency.
- Fill out the application form below.
- Midpen staff will schedule a site visit with you to discuss your project and program details.
- The occupied structure should be in compliance with applicable planning, building, and zoning laws.
- Applicants and contractors must have general liability insurance and any required licenses.
- Cost of vegetation removal and any required environmental review are the applicant's responsibility.
Other requirements may be identified in the permit for consistency with Midpen’s resource management policies and practices. Defensible Space Permit program guidelines.
Defensible Space Resources
Check with your local fire department for additional information about defensible space.
Questions? Contact Midpen at 650-691-1200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.