The Open Space District provides a competitive benefits package including health, life and disability insurance, CalPERS pension and paid leaves.
- Retirement Plan
- CalPERS 2.5% @ 55 for classic members; CalPERS 2% at 62 for new members
- Social Security – District does not participate in SS; however, the District does pay toward Medicare
- Medical Plan – Choice of HMO or PPO plans through CalPERS – District pays most of insurance premiums
- Dental Plan – Delta Dental – District paid
- Vision Plan – VSP – District paid
- Life, LTD (Long-Term Disability), and AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) Insurance – District paid
- Employee Assistance Program –District paid
- Vacation – Starts at 15 days per year
- Personal Leave – 36 hours of leave per year
- Administrative Leave – Exempt positions receive up to 40 hours of leave per year
- Holidays – 11 paid holidays per year
- Sick Leave – 12 days per year – no cap on accumulation; up to 72 hours per year may be used for Family Sick Leave
- Deferred Compensation Plans: CalPERS 457, ICMA-RC 457, or ICMA-RC 401A
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
- Medical Reimbursement Account
- Commuter Check Program
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Programs
Training and Development
The District provides a wide range of training opportunities for each employee.
Tuition Reimbursement Programs
District employees are encouraged to pursue educational opportunities that directly relate to their work, as well as other opportunities that will add to the employee's education and/or skill level and are intended to prepare the employee for future job assignments with the District.
Employees who register for courses that are determined by the District to be of direct and significant benefit to the District may receive reimbursement for tuition, fees and book expenses incurred while taking approved courses (annual limits on reimbursement apply).
Internships are offered year-round in the following departments:
- Information Technology
- Geographic Information Systems
- Natural Resource Management
- Public Affairs
- Visitor Services
All internships are advertised on our Employment page.
The District values collaborative training efforts with other organizations for the purpose of developing partnerships, streamlining costs, and improving operations by gaining new information.
Here is a short list of neighboring agencies with whom we have partnered:
- Stanford Lifeflight
- Silicon Valley Red Cross
- Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation
- West Valley College
- San Mateo County Human Resources
- Santa Clara County Vector Control
- West Valley Leadership Academy
- La Honda Fire
- Santa Clara County Fire
- Cal Fire
- California Highway Patrol
- Palo Alto Animal Control
- CA State Parks
- Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health